[Public-list] Atomic 4 compression

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Wed Jul 5 17:25:38 PDT 2006

Brian,

  I had discussed my desire to use Mobil One with Don Moyer, and he suggested that I use the 10-30 version, which I have done for 12 years.

  Jay

Brian Palmer <Bpalmer at DigitalArsenal.com> wrote:
  Thanks everyone for the advice and tips for getting my engine running more
smoothly. It's also interesting to hear a number of you saying you are
using synthetic oil. I don't know that much about older engines, but it
sounds like people are saying it's safe to use synthetic oil. Jay you are
using 10W-30 and Bob, you are using 5W-40. Can you explain your reasoning
for your choices? I'm currently using straight 30 weight as I recall, and
I'd like to switch to synthetic if nobody can tell me a reason it would be a
mistake.

Also, Bob, you mentioned that you use premium gas. I was under the
impression that older engines with lower compression, such as the A4,
wouldn't benefit from it...and with the gas prices today, I'd like to use
the cheap stuff (relatively speaking). Do you notice a difference? Is it
for other benefits, such as detergents?

Thanks again everyone!
-Brian
L'Esprit 288