[Public-list] Removal of brass temperature sensor

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Jul 15 21:17:01 PDT 2006

David Parkes wrote:
> Our Atomic 4 is now running beautifully with full compression and great oil
> pressure.  However, the temperature sensor is broken and must be replaced.
> Has anyone any ideas on how to remove a terribly seized brass temperature
> sensor bushing on the front of the block?  I have tried so much, with so
> many tools, that the hexagonal is now rounded and the bushing has not moved.

David, I asked your question on the Atomic 4 list.  Here are some

---

If there's room, a pipe wrench or large channel locks would work.  Also
try heating the block around the unit with a heat gun to expand the
block and likely free up the unit.

---

Heat, pressure, shock,  lube with some penetrating oil, then repeat the
process two or three times.

When heating, use the best torch you have. A brazing torch with map gas
will do it. Heat the fouled item directly, not the block. The item will
quickly dissipate it's heat to the block,

Spray with penetrating oil, tap with a hammer and cold chisel, and then
try the wrench or vice grip. Always spraying more penetrating oil and
tapping.

Do not try to free the item with one go at it. Aim for two or three or
more heat, lube, shock, and then pressure with your wrench. You will not
fail.

The combination of the thermal expansion, the penetrating oil, the
rapping, and the pressure from a good vice grip, repeated over and over,
will move anything.

So nice to hear that sound when you finally get her............CHEEEEEK.

---

If it's as badly damaged as you say, you're going to have to drill it
out.  Drill smaller than the thread size, and then cut the remaining
'bushing' with a hacksaw.

   Best way to deal with those that still have some shape is with a six
point socket.  Adjustable wrenches are just asking for trouble, and 12
point sockets are only effective on units that aren't too badly bunged
up.  The problem is that the brass is so soft that it just flows out of
the way of the wrench.

   DO NOT use heat!  Brass is a copper alloy and will expand MORE than
the cast iron head, and hence get tighter.

---

Temp senders that are stubborn can be removed with a sharp pipe wrench,
provided you have enough room to swing it.

---

There was a second to the notion that you NOT use heat.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash