[Public-list] Props and prop shafts

jon whittle at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 17 13:43:49 PDT 2006

Dear Lee,
             Comments:
         1. I,also, was attracted to the 16 HP Sole version. The
dealer/engineer talked me out of it for the reason that the boat will do
fine with the smaller Horsepower until you run into adverse conditions and
then you will possibly regret not having ponied up for the extra reserve
which is there just when you need it. Cost was my initial influence, of
course, but I got over it! I do not regret one bit the extra horsepower. We
hit Dodd Narrows an hour early and needed every ounce of energy to combat a
6 or 7 knot current and get through, which we did with some in reserve as it
turned out. I don't think the smaller engine would have made it. Secondly,
three cylinders are better than two from a vibration standpoint.
         2. I went with a two blade wide blade and it works just fine. I
don't care about reversing issues since I have basically given up any
reliance on being able to predict the behaviour of my boat and have found
other ways of landing safely at and leaving the dock.
         3. Why would you change the shaft size?
         4. I have no knowledge about plastic props.
      Regards Jonathan