[Public-list] Dismasting

Villo Marmei marmei_v at pathcom.com
Wed Jul 19 08:12:31 PDT 2006

Hi ye Albergers.....
Now that we are discussing Dismasting and Re-rigging....my question is as
follows:
1. What tension should one put on the Fore and Back Stays ?
2. What tension should we have on the main Shrouds going to the top of the
mast ?
3. What tension for the small Shrouds going up to the
spreaders....Specially the front #1 and the back #2 ones. ?
I understand that one of the two small shrouds has to have more tension
than the other...to keep the middle of the mast in column in a heavy
blow....Can not remember which one.
I also keep my mast leaning 4 to 3-1/2 inches back to have a very small
weather helm in case I fall overboard the boat will luff into the
wind.....otherwise I have a very much balanced boat and helm...(with the
proper sail trim ...that is)
Villo / on AHTI-KC