[Public-list] A30 Yawl Plans

Roger L Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Thu Jul 27 08:22:01 PDT 2006

Let me see if I can get this (George wrote - "Actually, the story is that
Carl Alberg designed a 7/8's rig boat, like the Triton, and Whitby decided
to switch to masthead.  Since the molds were already made, the location of
the mast couldn't be moved to accommodate that change and the rig had to be
shortened, instead.") straight.  With 7/8ths rig, mast would have been
higher (about an 1/8th or 4-5') and, I assume, boom shorter to keep sail
area about the same which would move center of effort forward, maybe point
higher?  Or, same boom and more sail equals, more weight way high up, heal
more, reef sooner, faster in light air, center of effort a little further
aft?  Would shorter rig have anything to do with decision to use cast iron
instead of lead down low?

Roger Kingsland
Managing Partner
KSBA Architects