[Public-list] dinghy tow or not?

Ric rlb1 at bergstrom-insurance.com
Sun Mar 19 04:01:17 PST 2006

Jack Vanderloo wrote:

>> The scene: mid-May, upper Chesapeake - say Annapolis.
>> The goal: make NYC in a timely manner.
>> The dinghy: 9'6" RIB, ~145# w/o outboard.
>> The dilemma: never been there, never done it.
>> The question: see subject.

To clarify....you want to tow the dinghy to New York City (NYC)???

Maybe in the bay.  On a nice day.  (so that covers Annapolis to the
entry of the C&D canal)

No towing in the C&D for me.  I want to be able to navigate and not have
to worry about the dink, especially if some large ship intends to occupy
the space I am in.

Not in the delaware bay or offshore of NJ.  Last thing I want to worry
about in some breaker infested inlet (thinking of atlantic city about 20
years ago when we were surfing a 40 foot boat down BIG rollers in the
inlet) is a dinghy surfing past and fouling a prop.

Just MHO.

Ric