[Public-list] dinghy tow or not?- I vote tow!

Elaine and Brian Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Sun Mar 19 04:48:20 PST 2006

Jack,
  With a RIB with no convienient space to safely stow it on deck, I think
you know your answer.
  I've towed both inflatables and a hard dingy offshore for the distance
your talking about without blinking. The inflatable has been towed behind an
A30, a 34' displacement cutter, and my current 39' displacement cutter from
NYC all along the southern coast of New England. To be honest, I rolled it
up and put it on deck for our trip to Bermuda and back. The hard dingy was
towed behind a Tartan 27 all around Long Island and then to Florida /
Bahamas and back to NY. You just need to know how. The dingy must have it's
drain plug out, be towed far enough back to be on the second wave behind the
boat AND in sync with the boat on the wave form. (ie: boat is going up the
wave, so is the dink. The boat is cresting a wave, so is the dink. etc.) I
use a polypropelene (sp) line to tow with. It needs to be watched vigilantly
since polypro is not very strong or chafe resistant. The advantage is that
it floats and can not get down to the prop. Most people will boo hoo the use
of polypro, but I've had tow lines last for years.
  The worst story I can relate is getting caught offshore going south,
between the Chesapeake and Hatteras, getting caught in a strong storm with
15 - 20 ft. waves, (stupidly, trying to go around Hatteras in late October).
The tiller head on my T27 broke and I had to lay a hull waiting for the
storm to pass. The hard dingy lay downwind hanging and jerking on it's
polypro tow line for about 18 hours before I was able to jury rig a tiller
and get underway. (went in Oregon Inlet !!) That same tow line remained on
that dink for the rest of the one year trip. Everything worked just like the
books all said it would and besides being a fun story to tell, it turned
into a non event for me, the T27 (after a new tillerhead was made), and the
dink.
  24 hours from the Cape May inlet to New York should be no problem. Just
watch the weather when you go.
Regards,
Brian  ex#497