[Public-list] Cockpit floor

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Mar 13 06:08:23 PST 2006

Hi Bill -

Wood eh?  I guess a previous owner had to tackle the job I will tackle this
spring; cutting out the top layer of glass and removing the underlying soggy
core.

To remove your non-skid I would suggest heat and a scraper.  In my case I am
going to cut around the whole cockpit floor with a rotary cutting tool whose
depth I can regulate (some-one tell me what the thing is called please),
scrape out the balsa/peanut butter.  I will then replace the core thickness
with plywood and build up the thickness again with epoxy.  I have a fond
hope that I can remove the top layer intact and glue it back down.  If not I
will be painting the new top surface.

Funny thing is the only part of the job I don't have full confidence in is
getting the rudder head casting off.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  I
don't imagine it will come off easily even after I back off the bolt.

Gord #426