[Public-list] Filling Holes

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Mar 13 15:52:24 PST 2006

Meinhold, Michael J wrote:
> I am relocating most of the cockpit controls back to their original
> locations, leaving a set of 1/8 to 1/2 inch holes in the compass cutout. I
> also removed the compass.  I would like to fill all these, along with a few
> others in the cockpit.

Mike, if it were me, I would just do a polyester resin layup.
  1. Grind an 8-to-1 bevel around the holes.
  2. Tape a piece of plastic, or a board covered with plastic sheet or
wax paper under the holes in the bottom of the compass well (to prevent
droops and drips).
  3. Cut (or tear) glass matt (2 pieces) and cloth (1 piece) to fit.
  4. Lay down a piece of glass matt, and saturate well with resin.  (I
use a cheap paint brush.
  5. Do the same with a piece of glass cloth.  Then again with glass matt.
  6. Fill any low spots with glass matt, the same way.
  7. Let that kick off, but don't wait overnight.
  8. Fill the rest of the way with fairing putty (also polyester based).
  9. Now let it kick overnight.
10. Sand and paint.

A small area like that is a pretty easy job.  The hardest part will be
sanding in that confined area.  If you do the grinding ahead of time, we
could do the job on Maintenance Weekend.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash