[Public-list] Wood Insets in Seat Tops Again

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Wed Mar 15 04:04:09 PST 2006

  Peter:
  I attempted to remove 'teak' panels on my boat.  They were fastened with a
very strong adhesive and couldn't be removed intact.  Mine appeared to be
teak ply with a teak veneer as I ended up with a monster pile of teak
sawdust on the floor after removing them.

  I ended up routing them out.  That's when I discovered that they were
almost pure teak.  I set my router on my router table to the correct height
and ran the seat tops upside down through the router.  One has to be very
careful not to run into the fiberglass (kind of obvious) and to set the
height precisely.  Even then you may cut too deep in a few places because
the seats are a bit warped.  I then used a chisel to scrape out the remaing
adhesive on the bottom and around the edges.  That proved to be very
difficult.

  I created new panels using solid teak strips.  Each strip was routed along
one edge 3/16" wide and 3/16" deep to make room for the black polysulfide.
The strips were joined together using epoxy.  I then routed them from the
bottom to make them lap over the edge of the seat depression.  Gluing is a
delicate operation because the routed edge doesn't provide a lot of gluing
area.

  Next I filled the grooves with polysulfide and sanded when it was dry.  I
glued it in using thickened epoxy.  So far I have put on 8 coats of Epihanes
Wood Gloss.  I am very pleased with the result.  I used a similar technique
on the lazarette hatch and companionway hatch.

  Peter Hay
  Rubicon #384