[Public-list] Anchor and Rode

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Mar 15 06:19:28 PST 2006

Hi there -

I would suggest that if you have variable water depth, and expect the
possiblity of wind, you need the best anchoring gear you can afford where
ever you sail.  Anchoring requirements in the Chesapeake place no less
hazard than anywhere else!  An anchor cable totalling 120' will allow you to
anchor with reasonable security in about 20' of water...that is not much.
In winds over say 20kts you would not be reasonable secure , using
Danforth's own 7:1 recommendation.

The good thing about an all chain cable is that it artificially increases
the effect of scope by forcing the boat to pick up the chain before exerting
a pull on the anchor...and also by ensuring that the pull on the anchor is
as near horizontal as possible when it does come on.  I think really good
ground tackle is the cheapest and most effective insurance you can buy...and
its good seamanship too!

There I go again....

Gord #426