[Public-list] Radar - reasonable choices

Michael Grosh dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Fri Mar 17 14:58:39 PST 2006

I use radar professionally and have to say if I had a choice between radar
and a chart plotter (I use Nobeltec-which can run on a laptop) the GPS
linked plotter wins hands down; especially on a sailboat of the Alberg size.

Radar comes into it's own at night and during periods of restricted
visibility, otherwise it mostly verifies what you already know (or hope).
Closed array scanners( the antennae that looks like a flying saucer) aren't
particularly sensitive-don't plan on it picking up a nun buoy, for example,
at much more than 2 miles. Meanwhile it has quite an energy demand.

The plotter is useful...always. ETAs', instant set and drift input, ability
to run outside channels with confidence (thereby avoiding a whole bunch of
traffic that you would be using radar to calculate closest point of approach
vectors-maybe, that is, if you can hold your own course and speed long
enough to develop those vectors). there is also a learning curve involved
that I am not sure a recreational boater would be willing to really develop.

I am sure there are many who disagree, and there are certainly reasons why
radar is required on commercial vessels. My opinion is based on my being
able to afford to be a 'fair weather sailor'-I don't sail at night, and
being on the Chesapeake Bay, I can anchor pretty much anywhere when
visibility shuts down. I have gotten a Rykalin GPS receiver that ports to my
laptop (about $50.00), but so far have just played with it in my car. I
continue to be amazed by affordable technology.

Having said all that, Furuno makes excellent radars.

MichaelGrosh