[Public-list] Radar - reasonable choices

Mpete53 at aol.com Mpete53 at aol.com
Fri Mar 17 17:30:56 PST 2006

I agree with Michel, a good chart plotting system linked to GPS will be of
greater use to us fail weather sailors.

I use a laptop with The Captn Voyager program. Its nice to plan a trip  at
the dinning room table and is a great source of info underway. I brought a  boat
up to Staten Island from Annapolis last year using the laptop. Good weather
and we ran 38 hours straight through. I had never made the run and it was a
great comfort to have it aboard especially down Delaware Bay on a moonless
night.
In the fog where you are is only half the story, Radar tells you the  other
half are there others vessels around you. Radar takes a while to  learn to
read, is hard to read is the boat is not on a very  steady course and the range of
the smaller units is quite limited. If you  get one spend a lot of time using
it. Play a game with it. Put a friend that can  steer a course on the wheel
and you look at the radar. Try and pick out between  aids to navigation and
other vessels. The more time you spent seriously using it  the more valuable a
tool it will be when you really need it.

My money is for laptop and gps first, but a radar is on my wish list.

Mark