[Public-list] Radar - reasonable choices

John Kennedy John.Kennedy at gov.ab.ca
Sat Mar 18 11:45:40 PST 2006

Thanks to Michael and Mark for their comments - especially Michael, who has
one big advantage on me: he knows what he's talking about!

I ask because my retirement daydream is an Alberg on the coast of British
Columbia. I haven't sailed in years, and sailed there only a few times.
However, it seems to me that a day-time, fair weather sailor can go a very
long way on the Inside Passage and not be out of sight of landmarks. The
Mark 1 eyeball, I suspect (but do not know) would be the most important tool
for navigation.

I noted a comment by the captain of a B.C. Ferries ship, who wished that
more sailors had radar and knew how to use it. He was quoted as saying that
too many amateurs would be cruising at night or in fog in the tight passages
between islands, right along primary ferry routes. Those routes can be about
as busy as divided highways leading into major cities at times! (OK, a
slight exaggeration)  Thus, the captain's wish for more radar with trained
users.

Thanks muchly, folks.

John
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. Please contact the Justice/Solicitor General HelpDesk (Help.Desk at gov.ab.ca) @ (780) 415-2998 immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.