[Public-list] Anchor and Rode

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Sat Mar 18 17:22:42 PST 2006

Pete... A little late in replying, but I just noticed the thread.

Your configuration looks good to me. In the Chesapeake, with a mud/sand
bottom and shallow anchorages,  a  Danforth is ideal, and 7/16th looks ok.
If I was rafting up with a bunch of boats, maybe I'd pull up to Mike Lehman
with his thicker line, but that's not a real problem.

Remember, it's never the line that breaks, it's the anchor that drags, or
the cleats that pull out, or the chocks that chafe thru the rode. The only
function of the rode is to separate the anchor from the boat. There is also
no need for any chain at all, cause if you  do the trig  you see that the
chain doesn't add anything and is just extra weight. I can just see John
Birch sailing along,  looking like a bloodhound with his nose to the ground
with that extra 300# or so in the bow :=)   In fairness, he anchors in
deeper water than we ever see in the Bay.

So, a couple of hundred feet of 7/16 with a Danforth and all rope rode is
ideal for the  Bay.

Can't help you on the Keys & Caribb, because, alas, I never go there,

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181