[Public-list] Anchor and Rode

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Mar 18 20:09:49 PST 2006

John Birch wrote:
> Yo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad ....

Are the sheep running lose in Canada? ;-)

> From: "Robert Kirk" <isobar at bcpl.net>
>> Your configuration looks good to me. In the Chesapeake, with a mud/sand
>> bottom and shallow anchorages,  a  Danforth is ideal, and 7/16th looks ok.
>> If I was rafting up with a bunch of boats, maybe I'd pull up to Mike
>> Lehman with his thicker line, but that's not a real problem.

I'll agree that a good Danforth style anchor and 7/16" line is OK.  I've
used 3/8" and found that the stretch actually helped keep the anchor
from pulling out.  It's hard to handle, though, and I've gone to 1/2".
(That was actually a Christmas present for Gail, years ago. :-)

>> There is also
>> no need for any chain at all, cause if you  do the trig  you see that the
>> chain doesn't add anything and is just extra weight.

I don't think so.  I think a little chain helps hold the anchor down.
Not when it's blowing really hard, perhaps, and the the rode is straight
and hard.  But in normal conditions when you're on relatively short
scope to fit in an anchorage, it's an important help.  Even 6 feet makes
a difference.

>> At 06:12 AM 3/15/06 -0800, Peter Staehling wrote:
>>> I have no experience with the A30 yet, but I would
>>> guess that a 20 lb Danforth, 20' of 5/16" chain, and
>>> 100' of 7/16" nylon would be about right for most
>>> conditions here.

I would suggest 200'.  When the wind comes up, 100' isn't going to be
enough.  At 7:1 scope, 100 feet is only 14 feet vertically, and that's
to the bow, not the water depth.

If I'm anchoring a raft with the Danforth (copy that came with the
boat), then I'll tend toward 10:1.  I've held a raft of 15-20 boats in a
stiff breeze for a hour or two until we got out a couple more anchors.
I put every bit of my 200' out thought the water was probably only 9 or
10 feet.  It held like a rock, though I probably added 10' of rode due
to stretch.  That rode was like a solid bar of iron.  You just can't
beat scope!

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.