[Public-list] Anchor and Rode

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sun Mar 19 20:23:23 PST 2006

Actually no, its not the anchor chain that puts her nose down, but rather
it's the two long 9s on her - as per the Rush/Bagot Treaty of 1817 limiting
to one 18 pounder ; ) 9+9 = 18 ; )
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr avast Mr Punsenby sound the beat to quarters .... ; )

Seriously, From Boat US:
"Chain, used alone or in combination with rope, offers great benefits: it
decreases the angle of pull on the anchor allowing it to set and hold more
effectively, it's unaffected by chafe from rocks or sharp surfaces on the
bottom, its weight forms a curve that absorbs shock loads in heavy weather,
and, in the case of all-chain rode, requires much less scope-roughly
half-for the same holding power as rope.

All chain is not created equal, however. Due to the inconsistent quality and
often substandard galvanizing of many imported chains, we recommend that you
avoid chain from foreign manufacturers. Proof coil is the most commonly used
chain for anchor rodes. Made from low-carbon steel, it is identified by
"G-3" imprinted on each link, and is adequate for most marine applications.
BBB chain is slightly stronger than proof-coil, and has short links allowing
a snug fit into windlass gypsies. BBB is also preferred by many cruisers
using all-chain rode. Hi-test chain is made from higher carbon steel that
has been surface-hardened. It has a higher strength-to-weight ratio than
proof coil and is favored by the weight-conscious, as it can reduce the
weight in the bow by up to 30% without sacrificing strength. "

So its actually closer to 200 Lb than 300.

George wrote:
"Are the sheep running lose in Canada? ;-) "

Bob Kirk wrote:
"I can just see John Birch sailing along,  looking like a bloodhound with
his nose to the ground
with that extra 300# or so in the bow :=)   In fairness, he anchors in
deeper water than we ever see in the Bay."

Cheers,
The Bloodhound, eh ; )