[Public-list] Dinghy - Tow or Stow?

Pete Staehling pete.staehling at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 17:09:36 PST 2006

On 3/25/06, JOHN GRAVES <jg1111 at msn.com> wrote:

>   The specs are:
>   LOA: 8' 3"
>   LWL: 7' 3"
>   Beam: 3'8"
>   Weight: 60-70 Lbs.

Those specs suprise me.  I expected something smaller when you said it was
suitable
for transporting on deck.  I figured either of my 8' dinghys were too big to
stow on the
deck of an Alberg 30.  I was thinking that 6' or so was about the max.

I would be interested in pictures of her on deck and a description of how
you manage
to get it on and off the deck.

I have a 7' 9"  Bolger Nymph that tows beautifully in very rough conditions
and can haul
a LOT of crew and cargo.  We have had about 570 pounds of crew and dog on
board
before and didn't feel completely maxed out.  She rows beautifully too.  But
I never
dreamed she was suitable for hauling on board.  I may have to see if she
fits.

I also have an 8' Atlantic Laminates dinghy that I have not yet even had in
the water
(she came with Aurora).  She was pretty rough, but looks nice now after some
sweat
equity.  I still need to add some floatation.

I assumed that both were far too big to haul up on deck.  I have toyed with
building
one of those designs where the bow section comes off and stores in the stern
section.
Most of these have a 4'X5' or so footprint on deck, but some are larger or
smaller.
Supposedly you can haul out half at a time.  To launch you are supposedly
able to
throw each half in and they float separately until you bolt them together.

Pete