[Public-list] Dinghy - Tow or Stow?

Peter Staehling staehpj1 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 27 04:42:55 PST 2006

--- JOHN GRAVES <jg1111 at msn.com> wrote:
> It is the difference between night and day if you
> can plane it off.

In the past we have usually only gone short distances
in our dinghy.  For that kind of use a motor seemed
likely to be more hassle than it is worth.

If the distance you want to go is far enough to want a
motor then I would imagine planing would make a huge
difference.

I always thought a tiny motor would be nice though.
If it were cheap, operated with little hassle, and was
VERY light it would be a great asset.  I never found
one that matched that criteria well enough though.

> Does anyone out there know what small outboards
> have the lowest weight per hp?

When I last researched this, it made a big difference
what size you wanted.  With some brands if you are
buying a 5 hp you might as well spring for a 6 hp
because it weighs the same (in fact it is the same,
but tuned differently).  Other brands base their 6 HP
on the 9.9-15 hp model and they weigh a lot more than
their 5.

I think I remember that the 5 hp
tohatsu-nissan-mercury (all basically the same motor)
were lighter than the Suzuki or Honda by 3-5 pounds.
I think the suzuki was ligher in the smallest motors.

I did find that Nissan did a lousy job of stocking
parts and backorders could go forever.  Mercury on the
other hand seemed to be MUCH better in that regard.
As a result I bought Mercury parts for my Nissan.  If
I were to do it again I would buy the Mercury over the
Nissan if the price was even close, just to reward
their better service.

Check well before you decide, as some of this may have
changed or my memory may be faulty.

Pete