[Public-list] Dinghy - Tow or Stow?

JOHN GRAVES jg1111 at msn.com
Sun Mar 26 19:09:03 PST 2006

Pete,
I'm going to measure and see if this is the same dinghy. That does seem a bit big. I'll let you know.
I'm looking for an outboard for it now. The outboard that was on my friend's, if I'm remembering right, was 5 hp, but it was not very big. I was looking around and all of the 5 hp motors are way too heavy for this dinghy. I also discovered that 2 cycle motors are going to be phased out and some manufaturers have already discontinued them. There seems to be a big difference in weight between a 2 cycle and a 4 cycle. My friend's motor was a 2 cycle. I remember having to mix the 2 cycle oil with the gas. I think it may have been one of those Sears Ted Williams air cooled motors. They were a poor design and never lasted very long. I know it planed the dinghy off very well though. It is the difference between night and day if you can plane it off. I'm going to do some research on outboards concerning the hp vs. weight. Does anyone out there know what small outboards have the lowest weight per hp?
John