[Public-list] Ice Box Insulation

John Boor mahseer at kos.net
Mon Mar 27 06:05:11 PST 2006

> Last summer I installed a compressor unit for the ice box.  When looking
> at
> the ice box I noticed that there seems to be a space between the outer
> wooden cabinet and the liner of the ice box itself.  The space seems to be
> about 1".  I would like to fill that space with insulation to make the
> unit
> more efficient.  However, I cannot see an easy way of getting at that
> space.
> Anyone else worked on this - or are there any suggestions on how to
> insulate
> this space?  Also: has anyone else insulated the hull portion of the ice
> box?
>
> Todd
> Strathgowan #400
> Todd

I removed my ice box about 3 years ago and found that the original was a
drop in insulated box.  It was about 1in thick and glassed on the outside
as well as inside and was saturated in water so had no insulation in the
bottom 1/3 of the box.  There is about 1in clearance for and aft and
inboard,  the outside  has upto 4in of clearance due to hull shape at the
counter top.  When I decided to work on the box I was just going to drill
through the glass and use foam to add more insulation but with the amount
of water saturation it would have done nothing.  I also have refrigeration
and before the repair the compressor would run 40 min per hour and after
20 min per hour.

John Boor
MAHSEER #380 (with sea-hood)