[Public-list] Boarding Ladders

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Mar 30 07:29:55 PST 2006

Thought provoking stuff as usual, Roger.

I wear a harness when sailing alone or under any circumstance at night.  Key
to the integrity of the harness/jackline system is using it in such a manner
that it is unlikely that the tether will allow you to reach the side should
you fall; which means teaching yourself to snap on to weather.  I use
tethers that are just long enough to reach the deck from a standing
position.

There was a horrible video clip making the rounds a few years ago in which a
person getting knocked overboard by a surging spinnaker sheet hit the water
and was towed for a while...he suffered broken bones and it was clearly
impossible for him to haul himself back up to the boat.  She was reported to
be doing over ten knots.

Back in my 'wandering days' after university I once took a swim from a
becalmed yacht that I was sailing to Bermuda from St. Maartin...despite the
fact that we appeared to be stationary, she was actually working her way
forward at a speed I could comfortably keep up with but if I stopped she
would have been several boatlengths away in little time.  We kept a man on
deck all the time.  I will never forget the sensation of vertigo I felt when
I put my face in the water and looked down through the perfectly clear
water...it was like looking up into the sky. I felt that if I let go of the
line I was holding I would fall.   Then I looked horizontally at the tiny
bottom of my 31' boat and was reminded in a way that hit me viscerally that
all my prospects for survival were contained in that fragile little hull.

Incidentally, on that passage my Autohelm 2000, which had performed
flawlessly, suddenly one night while motorsailing steered the boat in a
perfect circle, then resumed perfect performance on course.  I told that
story to my colleagues in the Navy here and they told me that it is likely
that I was being inspected by a submarine; the flux gate compass in the
Autohelm was disturbed by the 2,000 or so tons of steel passing 40' or so
beneath us.  Who knows?  Sub, or Bermuda Triangle?

Gord