[Public-list] Rig tension and maintenance

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Fri May 5 10:08:42 PDT 2006

public-list-request at alberg30.org wrote:

> Subject:
> [Public-list] Rig Tension Questions
> From:
> "Cole, Andrew L" <andrew.cole at llff.com>
> Date:
> Thu, 4 May 2006 13:50:16 -0400
> To:
> <public-list at alberg30.org>
>
> To:
> <public-list at alberg30.org>
>

>I am getting ready to set up the rig for the season and need some
>suggestions on rig tension and setup.

Hi Andrew,

Key point: Because of the geometry, the forestay needs to be a lot
tighter than the backstay (it is much closer to parallel to the mast
than the backstay). The owner for the first 20 years of the boat's life
(when I bought it from him 20 years ago) told me to get the forestay "as
tight as you can get it." That is a bit of an exaggeration, but you
should only be able to deflect it a few inches. Also, I typically
readjust the upper shroud tensions so that the leeward shrouds are
slightly slack when pointing or close-reaching in a strong wind (15 MPH+).

That reminds me -- I had a backstay turnbuckle fail (ripped out the
threads) when I was adjusting the tension -in the slip- (verrrry lucky
that time -- in the slip AND the aft lower shrouds held the mast up!) on
a windy day maybe 5 years ago -- got religion about lubricating
turnbuckle threads every year since then.

It really is important to replace the original undersized 1/4" bolts
(threaded all the way to the top like screws) that hold the chainplates.
7 or 8 years ago, when I finally replaced mine with 5/16" shoulder
bolts, I found several of the originals significantly bent. If you take
the stainless chainplates to a machine shop, they can drill or bore them
out to 5/16 easily, and you can drill right through the forward
chainplate (bronze) with it in place and add a few 5/16 bolts (bed
them). Back up all the new bolts with big heavy washers and lock nuts.
This whole job is not really a very big project, though it does involve
playing "human pretzel" and squeezing into some tight spots. The
benefits are great, to say the least...

Lastly, leaks around the backstay and shroud chainplates can rot the
wood bulkheads where they attach, so it's a good idea to use an
elastomeric caulk and make sure they don't leak, whether you replace the
bolts now or not.

Good luck,

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY