[Public-list] rudder shoe

frank khoury underdog.57 at hotmail.com
Thu May 11 16:01:18 PDT 2006

        I am concidering the purchase of a 1968 alberg30.  It has steel
plates bolted to the mast support beam. the wood looks good there. I believe
it is just a reinforcement and not a quick fix. Could be wrong. The rudder
appears to be solid fiberglass. I don't know what the core is. The only
problem there is at the shoe. Some play. I will want to remedy this before
leaving the yard. I presume the fix will be dependent upon what is under the
fiberglass. The broker isn't sure. I have never dealt with this type of
rudder. Also; do people ever add another pintle & gudgeon? The decks seem
solid by stomping on them and banging with various tools. stantions tight.
Four of the stainless chain-plates are slightly bent for some reason. That
one puzzles me. Maybe the stays were not aligned. My main concern here is
the rudder shoe. Any ideas would be appreciated.