[Public-list] rudder shoe

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Thu May 11 16:12:15 PDT 2006

Remove all of the paint. There is one large 3/8" bolt through the back,
remove it. There are a couple of flat head screws through the sides, remove
them, pry the shoe off, add some heat if it is difficult to soften the
caulking. With the shoe removed, check the pin on the bottom of the rudder.
If it is badly worn, or disintegrated, then you need to change the pin/bolt.
Write back and let us know what you find.

1968 is a good year, you should have no deck problems. The main beam repair
sounds permanent, but I think you will find that the sistering plates are
aluminum, not steel.

Mike Lehman