[Public-list] rudder shoe

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu May 11 17:59:31 PDT 2006

In a message dated 5/11/2006 7:12:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sail_505 at hotmail.com writes:

Remove  all of the paint. There is one large 3/8" bolt through the back,
remove  it. There are a couple of flat head screws through the sides, remove
them,  pry the shoe off, add some heat if it is difficult to soften the
caulking.  With the shoe removed, check the pin on the bottom of the rudder.
If it is  badly worn, or disintegrated, then you need to change the pin/bolt.
Write  back and let us know what you find.

1968 is a good year, you should  have no deck problems. The main beam repair
sounds permanent, but I think  you will find that the sistering plates are
aluminum, not  steel.

Mike  Lehman

Mike, this is the answer to my question in my next email, so you  don't have
to bother answering it twice!!!! When it looks like there is a  thread, I read
the earliest emails first so I can follow the progression. I  guess I should
read them all before answering!!!! :)

Lee