[Public-list] Fuel tank and rudder post

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon May 1 15:48:26 PDT 2006

Bobby wrote:
> - How does one repair the rudder post from leaking?  The post goes
> into what appears to be a stuffing box a few inches from the bottom
> of the hull.   I think that is what is leaking but since she's on the
> hard, I have no way of knowing.  Also, my boat was sitting low in the
> water especially in the stern which may have put that joint below the
> water line.  Does anyone know what type of joint that is on my boat?

The newer boats have a stuffing box very similar to the one on the
shaft.  You might find these articles helpful:

http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/AccessToStuffingBox/
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/StuffingBox/

Sitting low in the stern may be an indication of water in the bilge (or
a good party in the cockpit).

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.