[Public-list] Fuel tank and rudder post

Bobby capricebob at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 12:42:03 PDT 2006

Hi Yall,

  Regarding Caprice A30 #388 (1969) - I have two related problems that I'm hoping someone can offer suggestions on how to resolve them.  The initial problem reared it's ugly head in the form of diesel smell in the bilge.  The culprit turned out to be a leaky aluminum (I think) fuel tank which is mounted under the cockpit sole.  I was able to remove the tank from the port side cockpit locker.  I think that the rudder post was leaking and the salt water seeped on the bottom corner which seems to be right next to the rudder coming up through the hull.  This caused that corner weld to corrode.

  My questions are as follows:

  - How does one repair the rudder post from leaking?  The post goes into what appears to be a stuffing box a few inches from the bottom of the hull.   I think that is what is leaking but since she's on the hard, I have no way of knowing.  Also, my boat was sitting low in the water especially in the stern which may have put that joint below the water line.  Does anyone know what type of joint that is on my boat?

  - Can an aluminum tank be repaired?  It looks like the weld is corroded.

  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

  Thanks,
  Bobby