[Public-list] crossing the atlantic

David Fisher liquid_addiction at hotmail.com
Thu May 4 23:58:38 PDT 2006

Certainly the Alberg has her limitations and, as with any boat, it is well
worth being aware of them before you trust your life to it.  By reputation
the Alberg is a fairly strong sea boat.  You are right that one
circumnavigation doesn't necessarily qualify the boat, but it does give an
indication of it's potential.

Aside from a superb hull design, the Alberg has in her favour that she's
always been very solidly built.  Not the strongest around by any means; no
match for a steel tank, but up against the comparable production boats of
her time and those newer, she rates well.  Many on the list will be able to
tell you just how thick the layup in the hull is, I just know that it is
damned thick.

Compared particularly to newer boats, the layout of the Alberg is excellent
for offshore work.  I was just about sold on the cockpit lockers alone.  I
do consider the cockpit to be a little too large, capable of carrying too
much weight when pooped.  This has only happened to me once, however, and
the drains got rid of the water quickly enough.

I'm living aboard my Alberg, no. 440.  She's built in 1970, has a liner, and
was made before the oil crisis you guys had in that part of the world a
couple of years later.  Her former owners sailed her from Canada out to
Australia in 2001, where I bought her and now am based.  It can be a milk
run of a trip, and many people who have never taken it will tell you that it
is, but it is half a trip around the world, and that can't be sneezed at.
I've since been about 5000 miles at sea, having never lost her once.

I am currently refitting, with particular emphasis on boosting her safety
qualities.  I have never liked the idea of a vessel being a cockleshell, so
everywhere that I can make watertight, I am.  This is: Anchor locker,
forepeak (with an easily removed hatch), lockers in the saloon, bilge,
engine room(...), cockpit lockers and lazarette.  A bit of work involved,
but she'll stay afloat for sure once I'm done.  Quite the silliest thing
I've ever seen on a boat is deck drains, and mine has them.  Why anyone
would even consider shedding water from the deck via a hose, with all its
inherent problems, through the INSIDE of a boat is completely beyond me.  So
they're to go.  Various other jobs will toughen her up and make her more
livable, then I'll have what I consider to be a fairly strong, very pretty,
go most places cruiser.

Quite the harangue, but my point is this:  The Alberg is a fine offshore
boat.

David
Kalitsah440
Sydney.