[Public-list] Rig Tension Questions

John Boor mahseer at kos.net
Fri May 5 06:11:41 PDT 2006

> I am getting ready to set up the rig for the season and need some
> suggestions on rig tension and setup.  The rig is pretty slack right
> now, probably from the last time the PO stepped the mast.

> Any recommendations on ballpark rig tension for forestay/backstay,
> forward/aft lower and upper?  Any thoughts on rake?

Andrew
After I have centred the mast using the main halliard I use a tension
gauge and set each shroud to 10% of  breaking load then go sailing in a
fair (10-15knt) wind and check that each leward shroud is tight when close
hauled but not loose.  This may need resetting during the season as the
wire rope streches with use.

John Boor
MAHSEER #380