[Public-list] Galley Sink Fixture

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue May 9 20:00:46 PDT 2006

Peter Staehling wrote:
> I plan to replace the line from tank to sink.  It had
> clear vinyl hose (single ply not reinforced).  Is that
> adequate or should I use something better?

It'll do, but I would recommend the reinforced just because it has less
tendency to flatten out under suction.

> What kind of filter do you use?  Is it a "Home Depot"
> type thing?  One of the little disposable ones that
> look like a caulking tube and are used for icemakers
> maybe? (too much restriction?)  Or a bigger one that
> you can change cartridges in?

A Home Depot type--the bigger ones like this:
http://www.aquafilter.com/produkty.php?podkat=1&lang=EN&dzial=120&blok=1&produkt=0

I go through a couple of filter elements a year, mostly because I've
still got a raw aluminum top on the tank and it drops a prodigious
amount of aluminum oxide.  The charcoal filter takes out the aluminum
and the chlorine.  The coffee tastes fine, now.

I think the filters are cheaper for the bigger ones than the little
ones.  Plus, they're commonly available.  Put a little vaseline on the
O-ring when you install a new filter to help it seal.

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash