[Public-list] Teflon

Rob Alley 1ralley at comcast.net
Sat May 13 08:54:34 PDT 2006

What I used was a European made baby bottom cream with the consistency
of cream of wheat.  I would call it relatively ineffective unless it can
be reapplied regularly--which I guess defeats the purpose.  It was being
used in Europe to grease the bottom of smaller racers and trailered
boats with some success.  I greased half of my hard dingy and dragged it
around for a summer.  It got written up, if I remember correctly, in
Practical Sailor.

I am told by the yardbirds that some folks have success (of some sort)
with some of the engine oil additives like STP, which have high
viscosity--resistance to flow.  Haven't tried this  in the water, so
don't know.  It is extremely effective in attracting yard dust.

I am not sure, at the end of the day, that there is any effective
anti-fouling for propellers.  The nature of the physics  involved (which
I am not prepared to discuss) appears to defeat any attempt at an
effective applied coating, regardless of the material from which the
propeller is made.
Rob