[Public-list] Teflon

David Fisher liquid_addiction at hotmail.com
Sun May 14 03:48:34 PDT 2006

First time I had Kalitsah out of the water, a bloke in the yard suggested to
me that I coat the prop in lanolin.  I did, and it was all gone by the next
day.  I was left therefore with a pot of lanolin, and no good use for it.
However I found that for so many other applications on the boat, it is
marvelous.  I lubricate everything in the drinking water system with it, ie.
deck cap, inspection cap and pump, as it does not foul the water as a
synthetic grease does.  I also use it to treat any leather on board (ends of
spreaders, anti chafe here and there, dinghy oar handles etc.)  I thoroughly
reccomend it.

To keep the prop clean, I've found no better solution than to scrape it down
every couple of weeks.  I use an old dinner knife as a scraper, and a floppy
angle grinder sanding disk, about 30 grit (as it is waterproof) to buff it
up.  If an antifoul product could indeed adhere and last, it would of course
be a far superior solution.  The effect of an unclean prop is huge; it's
amazing just how much slower you'll go, and how much more fuel you'll use.
It's certainly worth keeping the thing clean somehow.

David Fisher
Kalitsah 440
Sydney