[Public-list] Fuel Tank Replacement

Peter Amos peteamos at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 16 09:08:19 PDT 2006

I bought a diesel tank a few years ago from West Marine,a "Tempo" I think.It
is 18 U.S. gallons and sits very well on the liner ledge in the starboard
locker.I t is a tight fit vertically but with a bit of huffing and puffing
it goes.I moved the deck fill so that it is directly over the tank fill
.That allows me to use a dipstick and pump out the tank if I need to.Being
higher than the motor it will gravity feed if the lift pump fails.I thought
the weight of a full tank might might heel the boat slightly to starboard
but I carry a couple of 6 gallon jugs in the port side locker and that seems
to even things out.If you go this route keep in mind that these tanks are
"handed" .Other advantages are that the shaft gland is more easily
accessible via the port locker and this tank being vertical is much less
likely to suck air.
Pete
Tait Tait #478