[Public-list] barrier coat

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Thu May 25 07:22:52 PDT 2006

Excellent description, George

Mike Lehman
~~~_/)_/)~~_/)~~~

----Original Message Follows----
From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org>
To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all <public-list at alberg30.org>
Subject: Re: [Public-list] barrier coat
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 22:45:17 -0400

John Malthouse wrote:
 > I am working on my A22 and A30 hulls, starting with the A22. My question
 > after reading George's comment is, why barrier coat would increase the
 > chances of osmosis blisters?

Consider how osmotic blisters form:
   1. Water penetrates the gel coat into the laminates.
   2. In side the laminates, the water dissolves and/or reacts with
chemical components.  (This is called "hydrolyzing.")
   3. The resulting molecules are too big to migrate back through the gel
coat.
   4. As more water infiltrates (moving from a region of greater
concentration to a region of lesser concentration), the pressure within
the laminates builds up.
   5. Eventually the pressure is more than the laminate can bear, and it
splits in a small area and bubbles outward, forming a blister.

My theory is that the gel coat that Whitby used was fairly low quality,
and porous enough that step 3 doesn't happen much.  Certainly hulls that
are blasted or peeled to remove the gel coat show the effects of
hydrolization in the underlying resin.  It's less solid, more powdery.
Fortunately the laminate is very thick, also, and hand-laid-up.  The
deterioration seems to be very slow beyond the outer layer (mat or
chopper gun, I don't know) that's just behind the gel coat.  I've never
heard of an Alberg 30 having catastrophic hull failures, though a few
random blisters is not uncommon.

Now, consider the situation where the outer skin has been made more
impervious to water.  It's still not completely impervious (not even
with epoxy or coal tar).  The pores are much smaller, so the water comes
in more slowly, but the hydrolyzed resin cannot escape.

Also consider that water penetrates the laminate from both sides if
there is any water in the bilge.  And that any coating you put on is
highly unlikely to be perfect, without any blemishes.  The odds of
keeping the hull dry are stacked against you.

Empirically, I have known of a couple boats that had worse blisters
after a bottom job than before.

Disclaimer: I am not a chemist, though my father was.

   - George

    I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
    So many I love were not yet born.
                 'The Middle' by Ogden Nash