[Public-list] barrier coat

John Malthouse jmaltcontact at hotmail.com
Thu May 25 11:22:12 PDT 2006

Thanks George,
>From what I have been reading your analyses seem to make sense to me.
My A30 has very small pepper blisters above the water line. I believe they
formed due to last springs cleaning before launch, stooped me used acetone
to remove old wax before doing three stage compound polish. (a beginner) Any
suggestions regarding this repair would be greatly appreciated. Also above
the waterline near the forward port bulkhead is some fine line
cracks/blister horizontally (outside hull), Both conditions seem to be only
in the gel coat. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I am working on the smaller 22 ft first in order to gage my skills and
knowledge, This one had several blister just below the water line and when
excavated more were found, so that now I have an 4" strip from bow to stern
where I have ground down to the first layer of glass or a bit more. The plan
is to use the WEST EPOXY ,HARDENER AND MICRO FILLERS. In all that I have
been reading one should wet out the exposed glass with epoxy and hardener.
Does this not create a barrier?

Back to your comment on barrier coats stopping water molecules from exiting,
Interesting enough it seems that the area of blister seem to be where the
previous owner had over sprayed when he painted with ALGRIP?

Boy do I ramble: suggestions welcome , do not want to damage my A30

thanks: John / Mannin #452

to offer.
first two months FREE*.