[Public-list] HELP! Bulkhead Problem

Peter Staehling staehpj1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 28 15:57:06 PDT 2006

I read some of the posts in the archives for other
rotted bulkheads under the chain plates.  I am now
thinking that I will do this in two or three steps.
First I would do the part where the chainplates are.
My plan is to grind it out at an angle to provide
somewhat of a scarf and glass it in solid with layers
of glass matt.  I think I can do a decent job  in
place and figure it will be strong.

My questions for this portion of the repair are:
1. How much of angle do I need to grind to get good
strength for the plywoord to glass joint.
2. Should I grind an even taper or add ridges or holes
for better adhesion?
3. Is polyester resin adequate?  It would save some
money, but I wonder if it is as good of an adhesive.

I think that I can do that portion of the repairs and
then be able to sail before reparing the other
portions of the bulkhead.

On the other parts of the repair, should I tab it to
the hull, or maybe even the chainplate area for that
matter?

Is any of this a bad idea?  I could always take the
bulkhead out later and cut off the repairs to scarf on
a new piece.  Of course this would be easier if I
don't tab anything to the hull.

Pete