[Public-list] HELP! Bulkhead Problem

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Sun May 28 16:40:14 PDT 2006

>I wonder if I can get it fixed well enough to keep
>sailing at least for the season by removing the soft
>areas and reinforcing them or if more drastic measures
>are required

I have had a similar problem on Checkmate's
bulkheads-almost certainly fresh water coming in from
chainplate openings on the deck.

I'm a big fan of alternate layers of polyester saturated
woving and mat. How about going after the rot with some
sort of rotary weapon of mass destruction, backing up one
side of the bulkhead with wax coated cardboard, then
filling in the whole mess-tabbed to good stuff on the
perimeter-with 'glass, smooth to taste, then go back to
sailing.

Gotta get rid of the rot, though. The little spores will
create mischief. Dosing the remaining wood down with
bleach would be a good idea also.

My job turned out so well I consider it semi permanent.

MichaelGrosh