[Public-list] HELP! Bulkhead Problem

PLefkovith at aol.com PLefkovith at aol.com
Sun May 28 19:33:08 PDT 2006

I have owned three Albergs during the last thirty years.  I owned my Albert
30 for 10 years up until 10 months ago.  I refastened all my chainplates and
repaired my attachment points and knees.  The bulkheads are easy to fix.  In the
area sounding the upper and aft lower shrouds go ints the locker area and
unbolt the chainplates one at a time.  Find some good grade .50 or .75 cabinet
plywood and coat it with epoxy before you fasten it to the bulkhead in the area
of the hanging lockers. Next find come scrap aluminum or stainless steel
plate.  Clean the rot away with your grinder, wipe clean with acetone and epoxy the
backing plate from the edge of the hull in the area of the chainplates.  I
used pieces about 10"x14."  On the wall in the area of the hanging locker and
the cabinet locker in the main cabin.  Cut the aluminum plate or SS plate to fit
this entire area, about 10 "x 6.''  U can use plywood, epoxy and the SS or
aluminum plat in this area.  If you care you can use Matt or 12 ounce glass
tabed to secure and cover the plywood then apply the plate.
Sand and paint, drive home your chain plates.  Re-drill the bulkhead with new
longer 3/8" SS machine cap screws with plastic insert nuts and fender washers
and your home free.  The hardest thing to do is not to make a mess and also
wedging a 200 lb man in the locker with a drill. Go to it Alberger.

                                   Paul L