[Public-list] Hard on the Rocks

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Wed Nov 1 14:59:09 PST 2006

Dan,

I am just now rebuilding my rudder and made up an existing plywood outline/template of the overall rudder4 shape. also have theold  existing bronze stock for patterns for new upper and lowr rudder posts.  Also made some templates to capture the two angles the upper rudder stock bends as it lays around the prop apperature opening in the top half of the rudder... A local ship yard made a new one piece rudder stock with 1 " silica bronze shafting, based on the original dimensions for around $900-including shaft material. Included cutting keyway at cockpit end for tiller head assembly, turning middle grunon pin shaft diameter (3/4") and boring, threading inserting a lower pin ( I went to 5/8" ID).   I ground out the foam core and took off the outer layer of FG to make way for the new one piece, top to bottom rudder stock...
Am now relaminiating everything into place..

I would be happy to copy the template outline onto paper and send to you to use in rebuilding a new rudder if you wish.  Also could trace the center line of the upper and lowr rudder stocks and the gudeon and lower shoe outlines if you wish..

The only tricky part about making a new rudder from scratch might be shaping the inner core to resemble the original airfoil shape of the rudder ( 1/2 again as thick at the leading edge as the trailing edge.  You could probably build it up thicknessess with sheets of core material or  1/4 plywood laminate layers, then taper/gind it smooth along a fairing line... then glass in the rudder stock(s) etc..

Be happy to mail you whatever I have, if you wish.

Glenn Brooks

Dolce #318 ( built 1968)
From: dan walker <dsailormon at yahoo.com>