[Public-list] Rudder Pin

Theodore M. Liszczak tedliszczak at metrocast.net
Mon Oct 23 04:23:53 PDT 2006

I had a sloppy rudder pin.  I followed the informative instructions on
the Alberg site for removing the shoe and replacing the original bolts
with new bolts. I had to drill out my 38 year old rudder pin. I tapped
the rudder pin hole with a 1/2 inch tap and replaced the original 3/8
inch rudder pin with a 1/2 inch NC13 x 2 hex cap screw with the head cut
off. My questions are: does the shoe totally support the weight of the
rudder and should I place the 3 M 5200 caulk on the treads of all bolts?
If all the weight of the rudder rests on the shoe, I may have to untread
the new 1/2 inch rudder pin a bit to sit tightly in the shoe.
Ted Liszczak
A 345 "Freedom"