[Public-list] inverter

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 08:32:48 PDT 2006

Yes, I want it for a number of things, convenience among which. Items I have
thought of powering with the inverter:

1. Christmas lights (DC ones are really expensive. Normally i rent a
generator for Light Parade. An inverter would save me from that, which is
nice because it eliminates noise, smell, weight, trouble, and expense of the
generator rental). AC lights are about 25W per strand so a 1000W inverter
would get me 40 strands - plenty.
2. Laptop
3. Hair Dryer (not for me obviously).
4. Vacuum (I have a small shop vac which is very convenient for cleaning the
boat).
5. Power tools (laminate trimmer, router, drill, sander, etc)

Obviously most of these items are power hungry and I would generally use
shore power if I am at the dock. But the inverter offers a lot of
convenience in case I wanted to use Items 1,2,3, or 4 while anchored or at a
mooring or just for a few minutes to use item 5 to fix something while not
at the dock.

I have a 70 A alternator, which at 14 V gives me 980W of power. SO I think
the 1000W inverter is the upper limit on what I can use. My engine is 16 hp
or 12 kW so this draw is, for practical purposes, not going to limit my
engine's ability to propel the boat. The only use case I have for full
inverter power while motoring is light parade, which is in the harbor,
generally calm water and light wind (if it's nasty weather, they don't have
it).

Thanks for the input.

Later,