[Public-list] bronze rudder post replacement

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Mon Oct 16 03:51:09 PDT 2006

Hi Glenn

there is a lot of variation in how Whitby put the rudders
together. the leading edge of mine (1967) has 1" bronze
stock in two pieces, but butted together, so that they
look continuous. the lower piece is held in place by two
long bolts running the length of the lower rudder-there
are notches on the trailing edge of the rudder that are
filled in with bondo fairing. the pin on the bottom can be
fabricated using (mine was 3/8, if I remember correctly) a
bronze machine bolt, with threads made in the end of the
rudder shaft, then the head of the bolt sawed off.

I see in their catalog Jamestown Distributers has 1"
bronze stock-in a 1 foot length. Item # FSBSR1  pg. 152
 $43.78.

The rudder can be removed from the upper shaft by
unscrewing several flat head screws that are faired into
the leading edge of that shaft, btw.

MichaelGrosh