[Public-list] bronze rudder post replacement

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Oct 16 19:41:48 PDT 2006

brooks.glenn at comcast.net wrote:
	[snip]
> Can anyone suggest the best way to do this?

I don't know if it's best, but my approach is included in the
Maintenance Manual.  Basically I chiseled out the foam and removed the
lower post, which was in a condition similar to yours.  I had it cut
off, drilled and tapped.  I then put it back in the rudder with glass
and epoxy and filled the voids with thickened epoxy.

> PS,  I really don't want to go stainless as the pintels and shoe are
> in excellent condition, and the rudder post mounted in the hull is
> bronze.

You really don't want to use stainless below the waterline.  See
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/CreviceCorrosion/

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash