[Public-list] Offshore Preparation

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:49:53 PDT 2006

A few years ago when I was a stake boat for the Canadian weekend we had big
waves and a lot of wind. I was by myself. I went to set the turning bouy in
106 feet of water. The anchor line to the bouy ran overboard very quickly
because of the current and the wind. As luck would have it, the last part of
line wrapped around one of the stern cleats and the anchor set firm. So now
I was stern anchored in 106 feet of water with a big orange bouy on the
after deck. There wats about 30+ winds and about a 6kt current. It seemed
impossible to get the anchor line free, so I had to back the boat in full
reverse while standing of the after deck trying to free the line. Just then
a large wave came over the stern pulpit and filled the cockpit and I got
drenched. While I cursed a lot, I never felt in any danger, but swore from
that day on never to attempt something like this by myself again.

It took a few minutes for the water to drain out

Mike Lehman