[Public-list] Depth transducers

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Tue Oct 17 08:05:52 PDT 2006

Hi Pete,

Not sure where the FG mount came from.  It was installed when I bought Dolce.  It appears to be made from thin ( maybe 3/32") Fiberglass sheet bent in the shape of an oval and glassed into the curve of the hull.  The top is a piece of FG, screwed and beaded to the mount and cut out to accept the transducer.

Although its been doing a fine job for a number of years, I've been meaning to beef up the whole assembly by glassing around the sides and stiffing the top piece, to protect it from accidentally getting steped on, or otherwise smashed in a seaway--also spread the weight of the transducer some, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

My old fishing boat in Alaska had a similar mount, but was basically a square box and top with radiused edges, made from 1/4" marine plywood, glassed heavily to the hull and inside and out. It worked great for 10+  years, and suffered through a lot of physical punishment.

(I agree with Gord,  mounting the transducer parrallel with the keel is a good idea--also installing some kind of ceiling or top bracket to protect the exposed wiring harness from being squashed/bent/broken where it comes out of the top of the transducer seems important. )

Glenn

Dolce #318

From: Peter Manika <pmanika at sbcglobal.net>