[Public-list] gps questions

Christos Katehis ckatehis at handsonsailing.us
Fri Oct 20 14:39:07 PDT 2006

J,

I use Maptech software on my laptop that works fine with a Garmin GPSMAP. The Garmin came with a serial cable that connects to the laptop and the software does the rest. Everything is point and click and it's amazing. There are many other software programs that probably do the same thing.

Good luck,
Chris
kasia#383

J Bergquist <jbergqui at gmail.com> wrote: Hi Folks,

Got a couple of GPS questions.

I have 2 handheld GPS units. Both are Garmin. One is a GPS II Plus, the
other is a GPSMAP 12. Both are now out of production.

I also have an NMEA interface cable with which I can plug the GPS units into
a serial port on my computer.

My question is what do other folks do for routing software? I would like to
be able to set up routes on my computer using some kind of whiz-bang mapping
software that lets me go click-click-click to define a route, then upload it
into my GPS and be ready to shove off. Has anybody set this up?

Currently what I do (and what I have done whenever I did this in the past)
is I look at the paper chart and type in waypoint co-ordinates to the GPS
itself directly, but its user interface is not so good, and it takes me a
long time to do this. Which means I usually don't do it, but I think it
would be good if I did do it.

I'm feeling a bit GPS-impaired. Hope somebody out there can make some
recommendation as to what software is good, where I can get it, etc. I have
got to believe that there is a better way to do this than what I am doing
now.

Later,

J Bergquist