[Public-list] gps questions

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 13:17:04 PDT 2006

Hi Folks,

Got a couple of GPS questions.

I have 2 handheld GPS units. Both are Garmin. One is a GPS II Plus, the
other is a GPSMAP 12. Both are now out of production.

I also have an NMEA interface cable with which I can plug the GPS units into
a serial port on my computer.

My question is what do other folks do for routing software? I would like to
be able to set up routes on my computer using some kind of whiz-bang mapping
software that lets me go click-click-click to define a route, then upload it
into my GPS and be ready to shove off. Has anybody set this up?

Currently what I do (and what I have done whenever I did this in the past)
is I look at the paper chart and type in waypoint co-ordinates to the GPS
itself directly, but its user interface is not so good, and it takes me a
long time to do this. Which means I usually don't do it, but I think it
would be good if I did do it.

I'm feeling a bit GPS-impaired. Hope somebody out there can make some
recommendation as to what software is good, where I can get it, etc. I have
got to believe that there is a better way to do this than what I am doing
now.

Later,

J Bergquist