[Public-list] gps questions

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Fri Oct 20 16:47:22 PDT 2006

I use Nobeltec on the tug I work on-it's so amazing I
consider it addictive, actually.

I rescued a Maptech program from the dumpster at corporate
HQ, and it seems to have similar capabilities.

I just won a GPS reciever for my visor PDA, which has been
orphaned, software wise (I think that's why I got it for
$8.00), and so have been looking on the internet for
programs that will allow me to transfer data to the PDA.
Bottom line is, I don't think there is a way to get what
you want for less than $200.00.

Unless....I have used Microsoft Maps and Trips with my
Rykoline GPS reciever on road trips. I'm thinking, for
about $50.00, here is a map program that interfaces with
GPS (scalable). It won't have water depth contours, etc.
but one could put routes in it(bodies of water are in
it)and derive some sort of usable data. Cheap and dirty.

I'm thinking of trying out Rand Mcnally's equivalent-the
blurbs say it supports Palm PDA's.

You have lots of options.
MichaelGrosh