[Public-list] Battery Chargers?

John Boor mahseer at kos.net
Tue Oct 24 06:11:06 PDT 2006

> All -
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on battery chargers? .  I was
> thinking of getting a true permanently-mounted marine charger.  I have 2
> banks of regular wet-cell batteries (group 27's).  I do not plan on
> leaving the charger hooked up but would like one with an isolation
> transformer & a complete automatic shut off.  Capacity/quick charge is not
> a big issue as I usually plug in overnight at the marina when I am there.
> Anyone have any recommendations?

A true marine charger is the way to go.  All modern marine chargers have
AC isolation transformers and most have a float stage mode allowing the
charger to be left "on" all the time.  Size the charger to have a charge
current of 1/10 of your battery capacity in AmpHrs e.g 200Ahrs capacity
get a  charger with a maximum 20amp capacity.

John Boor
MAHSEER #380